Buying a home? Here's how Irongate can help you find just the right one:
Planning Your Search
The best place to begin a complete home search in the southwest Ohio market is at www.IrongateRealtors.com. With over 25,000 listings updated every day - as well as virtual photo tours for most properties - www.IrongateRealtors.com is the area's most complete home search tool. In addition to searching for listings, let www.IrongateRealtors.com introduce you to the various communities, arts, cultural activities, sports and entertainment opportunities that make the Miami Valley such a wonderful place to live. Specific information sheets on regional public and private schools, utilities, etc. are also available for easy download.
Once you have decided on the price range of the homes you wish to consider, and the areas you would like to visit, contact your Irongate Realtor, or find one through our
unique "Find a Realtor" service that will match you with a Realtor who understands your needs, situation and concerns. Your Irongate Realtor will then provide you with complete print-outs on all homes currently on the market that fit your criteria. Using the Realtor-only side of the Dayton Multiple Listing Service, your Irongate Realtor will be able to provide you with lot dimensions, current taxes, tax appraisal values, square footage and other valuable information for each home under consideration.
If you are planning to finance your new home, your Irongate Realtor may help you "pre-qualify" for a mortgage right in the Irongate office with a Wells Fargo Home Mortgage loan officer. You will learn how large a mortgage loan is customarily available given your income, current mortgage rates, any special local programs you may qualify for (such as first-time buyers programs, etc.) and what your monthly mortgage payments will be at various rates of interest.
When a potential home, or a number of homes, have been selected your Irongate Realtor will then contact the seller's agent to arrange a private showing for you as quickly as possible. There are a few local "ground rules" observed by all members of the Dayton Area Board of Realtors regarding the viewing of homes. The most important are:
- As the seller is normally responsible for any commission due to a Realtor for the sale of their property, you, the buyer, are able to use the services, knowledge, experience and resources of a Realtor at no cost.
- Your Irongate Realtor WILL show you any property listed by any member of the Dayton Area Board of Realtors.
- It is very important to remember that your Irongate Realtor must accompany you "across the threshold" of any home that is listed by another Realtor. This includes Open Houses, as well as showings by appointments. If not, and you have not made it clear to the Realtor showing the home that you are working with an Irongate Realtor, your Irongate Realtor will lose the ability to represent you, the buyer, in any transaction concerning that property.
- Irongate also sells new homes. Building your own custom home is a real option in the Miami Valley!
- Occasionally, your Irongate Realtor may suggest a "For Sale By Owner" home if it meets your search criteria. Our goal is to help you view all vailable properties, not only those marketed by other Realtors.
When you view a property rely on your Irongate Realtor to draw your attention to its most important features, good and bad. In addition, be sure to:
- Check the Residential Property Disclosure to ascertain the seller's knowledge of the property. Remember, this statement of condition is no substitute for conducting your own inspections. Does the interior of the home lend itself to your lifestyle? Additionally, look at the setting.
- Very simply, does the house feel like home? Only you can decide what the "potential" of any house may be for you and your family.
Writing the Purchase Agreement
Once you have found the home you want, your Irongate Realtor will help you draw up a purchase agreement using a standardized contract. The agreement will indicate:
- the amount you wish to pay
- your preferred closing date
- the inspections you wished performed
- occupancy date and other negotiable items
You can rely on your Irongate Realtor to help you put your best foot forward in these negotiations. Remember, few offers are immediately accepted. A counter offer, or series of counter offers, may be required.
Ordering Inspections & Applying for a Mortgage
Once the purchase agreement is signed, you have a specified period in which to perform any inspections agreed upon. These inspections are at your expense. Your Irongate Realtor will be happy to supply you with a list of qualified inspectors should you so desire. Although Irongate cannot guarantee the work of others, these contractors have been used with satisfaction in the past by Irongate agents or clients.
Your Irongate Realtor will be more than happy to help you shop for the best service and mortgage rates available in the area through our wide contacts with banks, mortgage companies and other lending institutions - although we recommend Wells Fargo Home Mortgage for its competitive rates, dependability and wide variety of financing
Closing on Your New Home
At the closing you receive title to your new home. Occupancy may or may not immediately follow, depending upon the terms of your purchase agreement. (In the Dayton area it is not customary for occupancy to follow at the time of closing.) You may also wish to take out title insurance from Southern Ohio Title Insurance Agency, as well as home insurance from Southern Ohio Insurance as well. Rest assured, your Irongate Realtor will explain the entire closing procedure well in advance so that your closing will proceed smoothly and quickly.